Title: Heart Forgery: Not So Blissfully Happy
Author: Alicia Graybill
Email: captsparrow4ever@yahoo.com
Pairing(s): Jack/Norrington, Jack/Will, Will/Elizabeth, Norrington/Elizabeth
Rating: PG, alas, no nookie
Spoilers: Minor ones but nothing you couldn't have read in any one of a number of other stories.
Author's Note: This is the last "follow-up" to "Piracy Itself" that will appear as it sets up events in the sequel I'm working on--which I hope to start posting soon. Also, with any luck, the last Jack-less piece I will be posting.
Disclaimer: Don't own 'em but a girl can dream, can't she?
Dedicated to: Webcrow--beta extraordinaire!
Summary: Following the events of Piracy Itself and Blissfully Happy, we return to Port Royal to find Governor Swann in a quandary, Elizabeth and Will undergoing some upheavals of their own, and James Norrington acting as Cupid's-Jack's-ah, heck, somebody's agent of love.



Heart Forgery: Not So Blissfully Happy
by Alicia Graybill

* * *

Will weighed the raw blade of the sword on his finger carefully. The balance was almost perfect. There would, of course, be the leather-wrapped hilt with silver inlay then the silver basket-guard about the handle—an elegant touch that might perhaps be a bit too much considering the sword's destiny.

He paused in his work and glanced up to see a small brown bird sitting in the window. It's quick black eyes regarded him for a few seconds then it flew away. It was exceedingly early for a sparrow to be out but he was growing used to strange things happening in his life.

First, there was the matter of pirates and finding out that his father had been one. Then there was the matter of his nightmares about fighting undead ones. When Elizabeth's obsession with pirates was factored into the mess, he was amazed he hadn't turned pirate himself already.

The scar on his left palm began to tingle.

Then there was Jack, maddening, thrilling, alluring Jack, who featured most prominently in the worst nightmare, a nightmare he'd had every night since the little talk he'd had with Commodore Norrington. Every time, he would look up to see Barbossa thrust that sword through Jack. Jack would stagger, choke, then fall down, the curse not having affected him. The climb to reach Jack's side always seemed endless, like Sisyphus', then he would reach him. Gathering him in his arms, he would try to speak, to tell Jack how he felt, but he was always too late. The grief would awaken him, as it had this night.

Jack had apparently spent two moons with Commodore Norrington in his bunk, playing pirates and teaching him how to woo and win Elizabeth Swann. In the fortnight since that discussion at Norrington's home, Will had barely been able to turn around without there being something to remind him of Jack.

He had yet to visit Elizabeth since without Norrington being there or a gift from him to Elizabeth proudly displayed. It didn't bother him so much that the Commodore was going to such lengths to gain Elizabeth's affection. What bothered him most was the sense of betrayal—Jack had helped Norrington do this.

"'Course I did, whelp," The voice was so strong he looked around to see if Jack was there but disappointment swelled in his heart when he realized it was just that damned voice in his head again. "Ye're the child of a pirate and ye belong aboard a pirate ship. Specifically, my ship. You belong wiff me, love. 'Lizabeff's right about you bein' a pirate; she's jus' wrong in that she loves you fer that alone."

"How would you know?" Will muttered, setting the blade down before he threw it across the room. "You're mad."

"If I'm mad, lad, what're you? Talkin' to yerself in the form of the pirate ye're lustin' after . . ."

"I'm NOT lusting after you, Jack!"

"No?" There was a low, nasty chuckle. "Remember this?"

And the memories re-surfaced as if they were an hour old not days, weeks, months of age. Fighting with Jack and being so captivated by him that he'd missed a couple of very good openings simply to keep him around a bit longer. Finding him on the floor of that gaol cell looking like he was ready for someone to join him. Aboard the Interceptor all those long hours and the jealousy flaring within him at the emotions mention of his father caused to run through those wicked black eyes. The chaste kiss that Jack bestowed upon him after accepting his apology. Finding that whore in Tortuga to spill his passion with and realizing it was Jack's dark skin and black hair that came to mind more readily than Elizabeth's flawless features when the time came. So many more that he'd forgotten and every one bringing the aching need within him alive.

"I'm going to marry Elizabeth, Jack." He sucked air suddenly and shook his hand as the tingling became a sharp burn. "I'm going to marry her if I have to chop this damn hand off, pirate! She's the woman I've loved for 8 years. She'd never do me harm, not like you."

The burning disappeared and Will found himself alone with his own thoughts for the first time since Jack tumbled off that parapet. It was a cold and frightening place to be. He glanced down at the sword, reached for it, then hesitated. He fetched a piece of oil-cloth and wrapped the blade in it. He put the sword in with his own few belongings.

He had a few gold coins left from his adventure with Jack—most of the goods having been confiscated by Norrington upon boarding the Dauntless though Jack insisted that he should take at least some of the treasure.

"Ye'll need it, lad. A woman like that's got t' be kep' in the manner she's accustomed to. Ye need a new suit o' clothes too. Ye'll want t' be makin' a proper impression when ye ask fer her hand." Jack had said softly as he filled a bag for Will to hide under his tunic. "It was a right joy t' have met ye, love. Ye done yer father proud."

So what had been so harmful that he had come out of the adventure with? Elizabeth's hand? The truth about his father, that he was a pirate and a good man? The respect of Commodore Norrington (though he wasn't too sure that he still had that after his little outburst)? The governor's tacit, if not actual, permission to marry his daughter? More work at the smithy than he'd ever seen before, not to mention an offer from Mr. Brown to become his partner? Enough coins to purchase a small gold promise ring which Elizabeth now wore on her finger? A small scar on one hand instead of a slow, gurgling death?

"We would never have even been there if it weren't for Jack," Will said aloud. "He got us into that mess. It was all his fault."

But even as he said them, the words rang false. If Elizabeth hadn't stolen the coin from him, if she hadn't fallen in the water, if she hadn't taken it upon herself to negotiate with the pirates, if she hadn't stolen his name as her own, then what? It was easier to blame Jack.

For one, he wasn't here to defend himself. For another, Will hated him for having taken Norrington captive. Norrington had as much as told him that he and Jack had been together. It made his heart ache anew at the affection in the Commodore's eyes for the pirate, an affection he could imagine shining out from those black eyes in return. The same look Will wanted from Jack and hadn't understood it was what he had.

X

Weatherby Swann examined the parchment again. Each time he looked at it, he hoped in some childish part of his heart that it had changed. Each time, that childish part of his heart was disappointed. The first words were the hardest to read.

"By order of His Royal Majesty George I, you are hereby commanded to place Commodore James Norrington under arrest for acts of treason and piracy."

"I can't do that," He replied softly to the ink. "I cannot let a good man be ruined because of my incompetence."

He called in Hanson, the new butler. A relatively young man, he didn't have the stoicism of Ralph but he did have a bit more sense. He might not have actually opened the doors to the pirates.

"I need you to book passage aboard a ship for me to England. Make tentative arrangements for Elizabeth as well, please? Oh, and no word of this to anyone, Hanson. Your employment here depends upon it, do I make myself clear?"

Hanson nodded. "Yes, sir."

The date at the bottom of the warrant gave him another two weeks here in Port Royal. He was in the process now of tidying up what he could. He'd name James Norrington acting governor until a replacement arrived. There were others he could have chosen but the Commodore had proved himself capable of leading as well as brave and sensible. Ye gods, Weatherby thought to himself, I sound like I'm in love with him. As much as he liked William Turner, he was too much Elizabeth's peer to be effective in controlling her passionate nature. He wasn't truly certain that James Norrington could "control" Elizabeth either. He was relatively certain, though, that James Norrington had the social clout to keep others in line where Elizabeth was concerned. He regretted that Will Turner's heart had to be broken in the process.

I'm doing the boy a favor, though, he tried to convince himself. He'd never be happy here in day-to-day drudgery when he could be off having adventures with Captain Sparrow. He's the son of a pirate. Blood will tell, after all.

His mind turned back to Jack Sparrow. He had been most obliging in his tutelage of James Norrington in the art of love. It had been most evident on-board the Dauntless that something had sparked between the Commodore and the pirate, and not just a bit of jealousy over the fair Elizabeth. Swann suspected that Turner's intent all along had been to rescue Sparrow and make off with him as well, just that the boy was so infatuated by Elizabeth he couldn't leave. Sparrow was a dangerous man, not so much because of his skill with weapons or his pirate nature but because he had no regard for any law of the land or of the heart save his own.

He'll return for the boy in due course. I'm saving my daughter the heartbreak of learning that a pirate true to his blood can never be tamed, Swann told himself firmly. Then he placed the warrant back in his desk drawer and turned to the next matter at hand.

X

James Norrington stood at the door to the smithy with an air of indecision about him. He'd hoped giving Mr. Turner a fortnight to stew about Jack Sparrow would make a difference. Had this been he himself wooing Elizabeth, he would be relatively certain of his plan of action. Confront her, dazzle her, and sweep her off her feet—in much the same fashion that Jack had done him.

This was a different matter, though. He was trying to push Will into Jack's arms, a simple enough goal really but with the added complication that Will wasn't cooperative. James had no doubt about his own feelings for Jack or his feelings for Elizabeth. He was equally sure of Turner's feelings on both subjects.

As a young girl on board the Dauntless during their first crossing, he'd found in her spirit and intellect a delightful companion but far too young to be a potential bride. With his career forging ahead as it did, he hadn't been able to see anyone as a potential spouse until he became Commodore and realized that she was no longer a little girl.

He smiled painfully as he recalled how awkward and formal his proposal must have seemed to her. Here he had thought he was pouring his heart out to her and she was asphyxiating! If it hadn't brought painful memories of Jack, he might have had a good laugh about it.

There had been a moment while out on the Dauntless last week when he'd spied black sails against the sunset. For a moment, he thought it was the Pearl but as she came closer, he realized it was another ship, the angle of the light turning perfectly normal white sails dark. He was disappointed, of course, but the pain hadn't been devastating, as he had feared.

It was also hard to deal with the not-so-subtle insinuations from Gillette and Groves about the true reason why Sparrow had taken him "hostage." He had no choice but to lie, to maintain as he had to Elizabeth that Jack had been a charming if uncouth host. He had finally told them that the next mention of it would get them a black mark on their records. Since then, he'd only gotten the looks, particularly from Matthew, that revealed jealousy and a touch of envy.

He was to dine with the Swanns this evening, once he finished his business here. Screwing up his courage, he stepped into the smithy and looked around. The donkey had been unhitched for the day so was not present. Mr. Brown was puttering about, surprisingly not as drunk as he was the last time Norrington was here.

"Ah, Commodore Norrington. Glad to see you're back with us. How was the trip?"

Norrington resumed an aloof front with the man as easily as he donned his jacket in the morning. "As I expected. I had hoped to speak to Mr. Turner about commissioning a sword. Is he around?"

Brown shrugged. "If he weren't such a good worker, I'd have turned him out. He's been talkin' to himself, running off down to the docks or whatever, and moonin' over that girl of his. I suspect he's down t' the sea again. I can take your order, sir."

"No, thank you, Mr. Brown. I really need to speak to Turner about the matter. Good afternoon." He turned on his heel and ignored the blacksmith's response.

He followed his own instincts. If I were painfully in love with Jack Sparrow but afraid to admit it, where would I go? He asked himself. He headed for the fort and climbed to the bell-tower. As he suspected, Will Turner stood on the parapet staring at the setting sun.

"A wise man once told me that one would go blind if he stared at the sun too long," He said quietly. "Wishful thinking won't bring black sails into view. I've tried it; I should know."

The young blacksmith turned to glare at him. "Just once I wish I could have a private moment in this town."

Norrington shrugged. "At least no one suspects you are in love with Jack Sparrow. Most of the town, all my men, and a number of pirates, I daresay by now a legion thanks to the crew of the Black Pearl, all think I've been bedded by the man."

"Well you have, haven't you?" Will asked, his voice taking a disgusted tone.

"But I've only admitted as much to you. For the others, it's merely speculation," James sighed and looked past Will toward the sunlight playing upon the water. "It's a stunning view from here, isn't it?"

Turner lifted one shoulder carelessly. He leaned against the stone arch. "I suppose."

"You broke his heart, you know," James said, his voice steady despite the ache. "By choosing Elizabeth over him, you wounded him deeply."

"What was I supposed to do?" Will glowered at him. "Throw myself off the tower after him? You were holding me at sword-point. And Elizabeth was holding me pretty tightly as well. Not to mention the rocks down there."

"Blame us all you want, Will. Your heart knows the truth," As does mine, Norrington thought. "Mr. Brown is concerned for you, you know."

"That would be a first," Will's voice could not hide the bitterness. From his mother's loving arms to nearly dying at sea at the hands of Barbossa and his men to Mr. Brown's indifferent care, his life had taken a disastrous turn. "Benign neglect, I think that was what you said five years ago."

James straightened. "Ah, yes, I do remember that. So that's why you're upset with me?"

"You're not stupid, Commodore," Will turned to face him, raising his chin and glaring into those eyes that glowed whenever he spoke about Jack Sparrow. "I'm 'upset' with you for far more important reasons. Like Elizabeth and-and Jack. There, I said it, are you happy? I love them, both of them. And you've thrown away something I've never had and may never have. If I can do anything about it, you won't have Elizabeth."

Norrington suppressed the urge to smile. "That's how it's to be, is it?"

At Will's slow nod, James sighed. "Very well then. I wish you luck, William Turner. May you find your heart's desire."

X

Later that evening, after a strangely silent dinner with Elizabeth and her father, the Governor excused himself, leaving Elizabeth and Norrington to talk in the drawing room. Elizabeth's maid Peggy occupied a corner and worked at some needle project.

"The truth, Commodore, please. Were you and Captain Sparrow—Did you share his bed?" Elizabeth's voice was barely above a whisper.

James flushed slightly and cleared his throat. What he and Jack had done was so much more than what Elizabeth could possibly understand in asking such a question. He didn't meet her eyes. "Your father would not be pleased if he understood we were discussing this."

"My father," Elizabeth paused as if listening for something. "My father is a politician. He's manipulative and his motives should always be called into question. He might object in public but in private, I'm sure he really doesn't care. Will you answer my question?"

James answered in measured tones. "Captain Sparrow and I shared the captain's bunk on a regular basis while I was with him. It was not—unpleasant."

"Why didn't you stay with him, James?" Elizabeth asked, a sad smile on her face. "I know you had affection for him. I saw that when you last tried to hang him. Other men have turned pirate for far less, you know."

Norrington frowned, dropping his gaze down to his hands, imagining them being held by Jack's. After a moment, he looked up at her. "To be frank, my dear, I have too much at stake here—including you—to risk such nonsense. It wasn't as if he returned my feelings. I was-This is ghastly to have to admit but I was a convenience for him, nothing more. I felt like one of those dock-side women of misfortune, and I didn't care for the feeling."

For a moment, Elizabeth felt like saying to him that she knew he was lying. After all, Jack had been thinking of someone else while they were on that island. After the looks that passed between Jack and James aboard the Dauntless, she was sure it had been the Commodore. Then again, Jack was a scoundrel and a hoaxer who could easily manipulate anyone's emotions. He probably had been playing James all along, just like he tried to play her.

"I suppose I understand," She said after another minute. "Will tells me that you are determined to win my hand in marriage. I am affianced to him, you know."

"But you are not dead, my dear," Norrington responded with a quick smile. "Where there is life, there is hope?"

Elizabeth laughed. "I never considered you a starry-eyed idealist before, James. I thought that was my place."

"Elizabeth," James said and took her hand. "I only know one thing. My place is at your side for the rest of our lives. It is my most fervent ideal that you will soon see that as well. I love you."

Elizabeth felt the blood rush into her face. James was so close and he was truly a most handsome man. She leaned forward and pressed her lips to the Commodore's. The contact held for several seconds then a man's voice from behind them cleared his throat. Breaking apart, Elizabeth whirled to see her father regarding them with a slight smile, a glass of brandy in hand.

"Oh, I-we were just--," Elizabeth began to explain.

"Kissing, sir. We were just kissing," Norrington said shamelessly. "I have to be going, my dear. May I call on you again tomorrow?"

Elizabeth glanced briefly at her father, as if seeking his permission. He shrugged so she answered. "Of course, Commodore. If you aren't being too distracted from your work."

"If I am," James said very quietly. "It's an excellent thing for any pirates in the area. Good night, Elizabeth."

"Good night, James," She responded.

She noticed with interest that James strode past her father without acknowledging him further, almost as if he was angry with him in some measure. She sighed and poured a final cup of tea for herself.

Her father made himself comfortable on the settee and watched her out of the corner of his eye as he sipped at the brandy. After a moment, she spoke.

"Father, how do you feel about this situation? I'm promised to Will yet James is very aggressively courting me. Doesn't that seem odd?"

Swann avoided smiling as he regarded his daughter. She was so very like her mother, even down to the disturbing inclination toward tales of pirates and the ocean. "In his place, my dear, I might do the same. You must never forget that there are strict laws against a man lying with another man. If I did not know that James Norrington was a good man at heart and that he had no choice in the matter once in the thrall of that pirate, I might be very disapproving of his continued presence here. He might even be bound for a speedy trial and hanging of his own. Just one more reason for Jack Sparrow to end up with his neck in a noose, eh?"

Elizabeth's eyes widened and her breath caught in her throat. "I never thought—Surely, they wouldn't hang James for something someone else did."

Swann shrugged then said, "Then there are the rumors and innuendo, the insults and gossip. I'm afraid Sparrow put him in a very difficult place. If you were to marry James, it would put many things right for him. But, that decision is yours and I would never attempt to influence you in any way, my dear."

Elizabeth gave her father the look that he remembered her mother giving him when he had been at his most transparently manipulative with her. "Oh, yes, father, I know that you'd never attempt to sway me. I think I am going to bed. Good night, father."

"Good night, Elizabeth. Pleasant dreams," Weatherby Swann watched her march from the room. With his daughter, a hint of guilt worked much better than a full measure.




* * *



[Continued here : 'Holyday Series I: Many Happy Returns']